Letter of the Archdiocese against the news in Deccan Chronicle
Date: 31 July 2019
The Chief Editor,
Sub: protest against the news “Knanaya Church to end endogamy” in DC dated 31 July 2019 by Abhish K. Bose.
The Archdiocese of Kottayam strongly protests against the news appeared in your paper dated 31 July 2019 under the title “Knanaya Church to end endogamy”. The above said news is contrary to facts and misleading. Hence the Knanaya Community is very aggrieved and is badly hurt by your distorted news. So, Vigilance commission of the Archeparchy of Kottayam requests to the editorial board to publish correct news.
Let us point out the obvious mistakes contained in your article.
- Very first sentence that “Knanaya Catholic Archdiocese of Kottayam had decided to relax the strict rules imposed on its members under direction from the congregation” is absolutely false.
- The Congregation in Rome has never given any direction to remove the rule of endogamy.
- Rule of Endogamy is not an imposition but a practice of the community – an age-old tradition of the people.
- The archdiocese never made a decision to relax any community rule.
- The second paragraph, particularly the phrase “The Church which ousts its members who marry from outside the community..” is absolutely wrong. Since exogamous marriage forms a non-Knanaya family which will not come under the jurisdiction of Knanaya Archeparchy of Kottayam, they are allowed to remain in the local Church.
- Apnades did not give any new definition to Knanaya community membership.
Therefore, we would like to request the editorial board to rectify the blatant mistakes occurred in the reporting. Requesting immediate and kind attention on this matter,
Adv. Fr. Boby Cheriyil
Chairman, Vigilance Commission